A Brief Note of the History and Ministry of Rural Life Mission
In 1936, a young, single, school teacher (Mae Brooks), from Hagersville area of south-western Ontario responded to God’s call to be a home and school missionary in the rural areas southwest of Fort William Ontario. (Fort William and Port Arthur on Lake Superior later became Thunder Bay).
Mae had prepared herself by training as a nurse and attending Toronto Bible College. In the following years other ladies joined her to help organize Daily Vacation Bible Schools and Sunday Schools. The majority of the people in the area were of Finnish background.
In June of 1945, Rural Life Mission was incorporated and Board appointed. Mae and her husband, Art Waters, started a Sunday School in Hagersville in 1958, and operated a nearby camp, Waterbrook Camp, for 25 years(1962 – 1987).
Over the years RLM began other works which did not continue or became affiliated with a denomination.